Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ye Pirate Charities and Merry Adventures

It all comes down to your basic piratitude, your inner sense of pirate.” John Baur, co-founder of International Talk Like A Pirate Day

Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day

It would be ever so much fun to be a pirate—but on my terms and not theirs. For example, I don’t really want to go about stealing things or hurt anyone, but I’m pretty sure such behavior is required with all that swilling of rum, poking people with sharp objects, and running amok in the midst of storms at sea. Stuff like that.

Also, although I do try, my talk-like-a-pirate skills are woefully inadequate and no one ever takes me seriously. That’s probably because I end up laughing too hard.

But here’s something I am good at—I can share and today I’ll share pirating fun, crafting links, and merry adventures.

Not just a day to curse imaginatively out of one side of your mouth whilst squinting shut one eye, some charities use the International Talk Like A Pirate (TLAP) Day theme for fund-raising events. I applaud TLAP Day’s creators because they actively promote these good causes.

Here are a few ways to invoke your inner pirate and give back the booty:
  • Marie Curie Cancer Care in the U.K.

  • Childhood Cancer Support, Inc. (Queensland, AU)

  • American Diabetes Association via FenCon FenCon

In case you have a yearning to party like a pirate, here are a few September pirate festivals that may or may not involve your walking a plank:
  • St. Louis (MO) Pirate Festival Saturdays and Sundays, Sept. 15–30.

  • Taranaki (New Zealand) Pirate Festival Sept. 22. I understand they are planning a 2007 festival despite their outdated web info for 2006 but, if you live in the area, I’m sure you can find more up-to-date details.

  • Portland (OR) Pirate Festival Sept. 22–23.

  • Maryland Renaissance Festival's Adventure Weekend Crownsville, MD; Sept. 22–23.

  • Gold Coast Pirate Faire Lake Casitas, CA; Sept. 22–23, 29–30.
  • The lingo

  • Sublime Stitching’s pirate-themed embroidery designs

  • Free knitting pattern for a Pirate Queen's Booty Bag

  • Knit Like a Pirate

  • Free PDF knitting pattern from Folkcat for a Felted Eye Patch

  • Coloring pages for wee pirates-in-training

  • TLAP Day festivities on Flickr

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A VERY fun post! Thanks for the links, I will check them out :<)

Rosie
www.rosieswhimsy.wordpress.com

a pink-bee said...

Ah Hoy, pirate Junie, such a sweet post. Will check out those links. Have a swash buckle day mate. :)
crystalx

Kristi said...

I would like to add another fun thing for the wee pirates. Check out the book "Tough Boris" from the library. It is by Mem Fox of Australia, a great kids' book author. It talks about how tough and greedy Boris is (as are all pirates), but then something tragic happens and we see into the heart and soul of Tough Boris, and into all of us. It is a very simple book for a great range of ages. It is great for story times as the kids can reply back the line "All pirates are ..." My kids love it, I love it and I truly recommend it as pirate books for wee ones go!

I will be printing out the coloring page! Thanks!

iSew said...

Too funny Junie. I have a friend who used to always tell everyone when it was Talk Like a Pirate Day. I can honestly say, it's even more fun when you work at Disneyland, like I did. lol Thanks for bringing it up, I need to email that friend. Love all those links too.

Junie Moon said...

Sunny Kristi: thanks so much for the book idea for the wee pirates.

Thank you everyone for your comments--it's so much fun to "have" fun, isn't it?

Lena said...

Oh gosh, June, you are a hoot! This is a wonderful post!
Fair winds right back atcha, me lady!

Me and Him said...

Oh I like the Giving Back the Booty idea.

Lisa said...

Oh, my goodness, I'm still grinning from ear to ear about this post! I grew up along the eastern seaboard, near Blackbeard country and have always loved pirates, um, Matey! Can't wait to tell the kids about Sep.19th Pirate Day!

Darla said...

Came over from Merryville to see what your blog is all about. Any friend of Mrs. Staggs is sure to be someone I'll like.

I tip my (pirate's) hat to you and I'm going to walk the plank that leads to your archives now.

Darla

Saucy said...

Aye, yes Junie Moon, me pirate name be "Saucy Bess Bonny" and how fittin that be? Have yerself a good one - I must be off to swab the poopdeck!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I forgot about this major holiday! I love your giving ideas Matey :)

Mrs.Kwitty said...

A bunch of fun JunieMoon--and you have got to be the cutest pirate EVER! I just want to pinch your little pirate cheeks, lol!
Smiles, Karen