Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer Flip-Flops Bling Tutorial

It’s time to host our annual pool party, so things are revving up at my house for Saturday’s merriment. To get in the party spirit, I thought a little summer bling would be fun.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

You can create numerous decorative elements, but I’m easing my way into the whole bling experience by using a simple flower design. My friend Paula taught me how to do this and let me play with her Swarovski crystals yesterday.

Supplies
  • Flip-flops
  • Swarovski crystals (flat-back, foiled)
  • E6000 adhesive
  • Bead Buddy tool
  • Toothpicks
Directions
  1. Put a small dollop of adhesive on a flip-flop using a toothpick and spread it out a bit. The glue dries fast (and clear) so only do one section at a time.
  2. Very lightly touch the top of one of the crystals (colored side, not flat side) with your Bead Buddy and place it where you want it on the adhesive. The glue will hold it in place when you pull back the Bead Buddy. If needed, reposition the crystal using another toothpick.
  3. After completing each section, press gently with your fingers to make sure the crystals are embedded in the glue. My small flower design counted as one section for me.
  4. Repeat for other sections of your flip-flops if you’re doing a more elaborate design.
  5. Don’t get excited and start wearing your newly-embellished flip-flops right away, let them cure overnight.
© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Now I’m ready for our pool party.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

HELP - I've been blinded by the BLING!!!!!

Those one pair of fancy flip-flops you've got there.

Did anyone say 'Pool Party'? I can't ever imagine those words passing my lips. Though today I could have invited you over for puddle jumping - do you think you'd be up for that? Nice weather for ducks I think the expression is.
x

grendelskin said...

Sweet! that looks like just the right amount of bling to me!
As I recall you went all-out for last year's party; are you cutting yourself a break this year or will we see 14 posts in the next few days showing lovely things we'll wish we'd thought of??
(Did you ever make a quilt out of those killer napkins?)

Thimbleanna said...

Very Cute Junie Moon! Be sure and put your sunglasses on to protect your eyes from all that sparkly!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

So pretty! I remeber your pool party from last year. Hope you have fun!

I know spring & summer is a very busy time, June. Visit only when you have free time..no guilt!

Lisa said...

These are so cute! It's such a simple thing, but it makes such a big different and dresses them up!

Diva Dietitian said...

I'm curious to see how your bling stayed on your flip flops. I'm making some flip flops for favors for a girls night I'm having and am seeking for the best glue.