Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pattern Weights

Various types of homemade pattern weights are showing up on a number of sewing blogs, so I thought I’d give some a try myself.

Using pattern weights instead of pins is supposed to be a time saver and prevent any undue holes appearing in some fabrics. Some people use them only for rotary cutting; some can happily maneuver their scissors around them.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I’m trying the metal washer version to see how it goes; here’s my process in making a set (I made 10):
  1. Wash the washers to remove any oily residue from the manufacturing process.
  2. Inscribe initials using metal dye stamps.
  3. Prime with Rust-Oleum Automobile Primer.
  4. Spray paint with Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Gloss (I chose the color Blue Ocean Breeze).
  5. Go over the initials with a Sharpie pen (I used the color Berry) to make them easier to see.
  6. Give the weights two coats of Miniwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane as a sealant.
© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

You can see pattern weights in action at the Sew Inspired blog as she teaches us how to make a t-shirt. If you just want to buy a set of pattern weights, you can find them at such places as Nancy’s Notions.

Resources
  • A machine embroidery project set may be found for purchase at DigiStitches
  • After the Dressthoughts about pattern weights
  • Fabric-wrapped pattern weights at Sew Chic blog
  • Metal washer weights at Noile
  • Pattern weights tutorials (two versions, one sewn and one from the hardware store) at Five Green Acres blog

9 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Junie Moon!!! You ALWAYS have the best ideas -- these are VERY cool!!!

Yummers! said...

I never heard of fabric weights but then again I haven't sewn anything in several years. You are amazing!! And you presented a nice tutorial!!

Unknown said...

You are so talented Mrs Junie Moon.

I've been having a go at making some 'jewellery items' and have had to pop onto the WWW as I hit a tricky bit. Luckily I found the help I was looking for. What I really need is you as my next door neighbour, so I can pop round for inspiration and (lots of) help.
x

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love ther color Krylon you chose, June.

Ms Muffin said...

Thanks for this post! Up until now I had never heard of pattern weights before. But I love the idea and - as someone who hates the pinning - will give it a try!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Those are so cool Junie! My pattern teacher uses those washers. I can't wait to share this idea with my group! And I would love to link to his if you didn't mind.

Wendy said...

VERY cute! Another fab use for washers...

chris said...

Lovely! I would love a set of these. Maybe it's time to make my own. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Anonymous said...

bapesta shoes
supreme clothing
off white
off white jordan 1
palm angels