Friday, December 28, 2007

Linda Ann Tarango-Griess



I volunteered to do some stitching for The Mother’s Day Project, an effort to honor women who sacrificed their lives in the Iraq war.

A name pre-stamped on fabric was sent to me that I embroidered and mailed back last week. The end result will be made into a tote and sent to me to use for a while before passing it on to the next person—to remind us of the women who have died in the Iraq war.

The name I received is Linda Ann Tarango-Griess, 33, of Sutton, Nebraska. Linda was killed on Sunday, July 11, 2004 when an improvised roadside bomb exploded near her convoy in Samarra, 60 miles north of Baghdad.


Source: U.S. Military Times

Whether I agree with the war or not, I sit here writing this post in the relative safety of my home because, throughout history, someone has fought and died to give me the blessing of feeling secure. The Mother's Day Project helps me be mindful of the sacrifices made by our military personnel and their families.


Source: York County Historical

This is my finished embroidered piece for Linda; her name was printed on some tape and adhered to the fabric, I just had to stitch over it.


photo by Dub Scroggin

Two months before her death, Linda wrote an email to her cousin apologizing for not being able to make his wedding that day. This is an excerpt that just touched my heart so deeply:

I am sorry I can't be there to share in your day, but here I am in hopes that one day, these people will have the chance to be as happy as you. Just know that I AM with you...just close your eyes, place your hands on your heart, and you will feel me there.”

15 comments:

Kim Bates said...

This is what I mean: you are SO thoughtful! What a wonderful project to remind us of those who have given their lives for us! You really think of others in such a special way Junie! Thanks for reminding us to do the same!

dutchcomfort said...

What a wonderful project to take part in. I promised to be back to visit your blog and I’m touched again by your kindness.
In Holland we are still thankfull for all American and Canadian soldiers who gave their lifes for our freedom during WWII.
At this moment we have our female and male soldiers in Afghanistan to provide safety for the Afghaan people. We should think about them more often. Thank you for reminding us!

Jane said...

Oh June, that is such a beautiful tribute! Thank you for sharing that will us!

Diana said...

I've signed up too. Thanks for posting about it. So simple and so meaningful.

greetingarts said...

Heartbreaking. Utterly heartbreaking. But thank you for posting.

Anonymous said...

You see why I so enjoy reading your blog. You have such wonderful things to say. You are also right, that piece was very moving that Linda Ann wrote. It brought tears to my eyes as I was reading it from your blog.

What a wonderful project!!!
Hugs!!!

African Kelli said...

Absolutely wonderful. Thank you for reminding us of these selfless heroes.

rohanknitter said...

Wow.
That is just beautiful. Thanks for reminding us to remember those who make the ultimate sacrifice.

Yummers! said...

June,
That was a lovely blog and something we all needed to be reminded about. You wrote so beautifully and made her such a real person.
Thank you, Junie Moon.
Hugs from my heart.
Joni

Rosemary said...

How great that you took part in that. It was so sad to read.
You are a wonderful person!!
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

That was so moving to read. I wonder how many times her family puts their hands on their hearts, closes their eyes, and thinks of her? I would imagine it is a very comforting thing to do.

Kristi said...

How wonderful to remember those who risk and often lose their lives for our freedom.

Have you heard the new Christmas song about the soldier? Not sure if it was nationally played.

Saucy said...

It is truly remarkable what is sacrificed during war time. I am also amazed that equality has brought women to the front lines and battlefields of war and people aren't more shocked and saddened that families are without sisters, wives, daughters.

Congratulations on your 100th post! What fun! What's NOT to like about the Junie Moon blog? That must have been a rhetorical question, indeed. We love it all.
xoxoxo

a pink-bee said...

What a wonderful project Junie.
crystalxo

Gumbo Lily said...

You are such a blessing.
~Jody