Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Clean Start

The end of 2007 also saw the close of the year-long Amy Butler In Stitches Sew-Along project in which I participated. Hosted by Kelli of Africankelli and Finny of Finny Knits, we learned new skills and discovered many creative ways of thinking about the things we make.

Our final assignment was “Dealer's choice: pick a pattern from the book you love and give it your own spin.”

I took the “give it your own spin” part literally and kind of created an unofficial Amy Butler In Stitches project as my final effort. I made two patchwork mats for the tops of my washer and dryer. I wanted a clean start for 2008 and a revitalized laundry room felt right.



By modifying Amy’s instructions for the Patchwork Handbag (which was our last project) and using leftover fabric pieces from that project, I was able to make both mats. This also makes it a “use what you have” project as I didn’t have to buy a single thing.

The mats are interfaced with Warm & Cuddly natural cotton batting and the back is a solid dark red. I only photographed one to give you the idea of my completed project.

A new Sew-Along for 2008 is planned but I don’t know the details yet.

16 comments:

a pink-bee said...

Nice project :)
Have a Happy day :)
crystal xo

Anonymous said...

Gotta love a woman who makes her washer and dryer pretty! Awesome!

Kristi said...

Very pretty, but may I ask what washer and dryer mats are for? Just for pretty? My W&D are in a closet so no one ever sees them. They are also on the 2nd floor with all the bedrooms. YAY! Gotta love that after years of having to trudge to a basement to do laundry!

Unknown said...

June those look great! I have not finished my last project yet... hopefully soon!

African Kelli said...

I love this! Such creative planning. And good lord, your home is always so clean!

dutchcomfort said...

I love the project with a ‘twist’. Such a shame I have two machines on top of each other, so no new project for me...

Rosemary said...

Very nice. Love those colors.
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

I love the crispness of the red and white patchwork. I can just imagine your laundry room with all of your homemade detergents with color coordinated labels. I just *may* enjoy doing the laundry in such a pretty room.

kari and kijsa said...

Fabulous!

Have a blessed day!

smiles, kari and kijsa

rohanknitter said...

Very cute June!

Saucy said...

A spruced up laundry area is just what the doctor ordered. That looks nice and perky.

Unknown said...

Lovely June! You know that is something I should do too with my laundry room. It is very small but needs some life for sure!

Home ec new Haven said...

Oh June, it's so hard not to dislike you and your perfectly neat house and washer/dryer mats! Can you come train me?

Thimbleanna said...

Love your washer dryer tops June! I made one a year ago and I love having a pad to keep my dryer from getting scratched on top.

meg said...

You've done it again, June- I love this idea; not only would it keep Wally & Drake (yes, I'm a geek- I named my washer & dryer) scratch-free & attractive, it would give Poppy (my marmalade princess) a more comfortable perch in which to startle everyone who comes out of the bathroom :-)

Gumbo Lily said...

I love your mats! I have red & white polka dot mats (oil cloth) on my washer/dryer and I never grow tired of them. It's the little things, isn't it?

Jody