Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Aphrodite Affirmation

When I turned 50 some years back, I considered how to handle my own aging process. Be afraid of the changes transporting me to my end-time or embrace those changes and accept myself as is?

I decided creative self-acceptance would be the best thing and came up with an annual celebration to remind myself of this. No matter my appearance or age, as long as I do my best in this world, then I am a beautiful worthwhile woman.


Source: Section of "The Birth of Venus" by Sandro Botticelli,: University Corporation for Atmospheric Research

This summer my friend Donna and her husband are joining us on our vacation. Donna and I plan to do the Aphrodite Affirmation by the lake which simply involves saying good things about ourselves, without any apologies. Aphrodite represents love and beauty—loving self-approval is our goal.



I made costumes for us over the weekend just for fun (Butterick 4572). My neighbor volunteered her daughter to model one of the costumes—I’ve cropped the photo to protect her privacy.



The cape buttons to one shoulder with a gold upholstery button. I used ribbon with a Greek key design for the trim detail and belt. We’ll wear a gold headband around our foreheads instead of on top of our heads. Gold flip-flops complete the outfit.

The costumes were enjoyable projects but are merely stage props. The real acceptance of self-worth originates inside us at our core.

14 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Gosh June. You're just awesome. You should lead an Aphrodite Affirmation camp!

Kristie said...

Amen.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Waht fun June!
The model looks like a perfect Aphrodite wearing your costume.
I hope you enjoy the affirmation ceremony and the vacation with your friends!
Hugs, Pat

Ali said...

June, I may never have seen you in the flesh, but I know your soul is beautiful. Have a wonderful Affirmation ceremony.

Anonymous said...

June, it is always a pleasure to see what you are up to.

Thanks, BTW, for your kind comments yesterday on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh I so love that idea. What an awesome thing to do for yourself!!! June hon you rock!!!

Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the wonderful, positive attitude this expresses!!

Weathertop farm

Anonymous said...

June such a wonderful idea for any age - we have so many things to be grateful for each day!
mary
hoganfe handbags

Gumbo Lily said...

A perfect way to celebrate lovely YOU!

Jody

Mrs.Kwitty said...

JunieMoon--one just never knows what you will come up with next!

Here's one thing you can add to your affirmations--you are a creative and generous soul, and you know how to truly experience life.

I really admire that about you, friend. You inspire me to slow down and enjoy my moments too.

Smiles, Karen

Anonymous said...

Oh June... will you be our Aphrodite Affirmation leader?

Eduarda said...

Rock on June!

Saucy said...

You are one mighty Aphrodite, sweet June.

Anonymous said...

off white nike
off white
palm angels hoodie
curry 8
off white