Monday, March 2, 2009

Orchidelirium


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

In The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession (Ballantine Reader's Circle), John Laroche explains his obsession for a rare ghost orchid, “I have to have it and learn about it and grow it and sell it and master it and have a million of it.”


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I can understand Laroche’s fascination after visiting the Tucson Orchid Society Show on Saturday. We were so enthralled that we went back to the show on Sunday. How the judges could maintain their equanimity amidst the beauty on display is beyond me, but brightly-colored award ribbons did indeed bedeck various orchids.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Amazing things, orchids. I found myself feeling slightly acquisitive myself, tempted to take pots and pots of orchids home with me. Instead, I settled for collecting memories via my camera.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Yep, I suspect I’ve come down with orchidelirium—and I’m not looking for a cure.

9 comments:

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Oh, they are just breathtakingly gorgeous! I'll bet that show was fantastic.
(your pictures are really lovely JunieMoon)
Smiles, Karen

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures. My brother has a real knack for orchids. I can't keep one alive at all.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos, June!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

They are just the most gorgeous flowers, aren't they! I've never tried to grow them...I'm not very good with indoor plants and I hear they're a little "high maintenance".

Kimberly :)

BTW, your pizza in the last post looks DE-LISH! Now I'm really hungry. LOL

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I have a green thumb ( I have some houseplants that I've kept alive for over 35 years!) but I never tried to keep an orchid plant. Orchids and bonsai trees require a lot of care and the right conditions.

They almost have faces don't they? Lovely photgraphs!

Thimbleanna said...

Gorgeous pictures June! I read that book years ago and really enjoyed it. I've never been to an orchid show though -- I think it sounds like a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing with us!

shenry said...

Dang, you do a stellar job with the photography. I need to take lessons from you.

Pamela said...

I've had orchidelirium since I was a small child. I was raised in a flower nursery and one of the greenhouses was dedicated to orchids. As kid we weren't allowed in there but on special occasion the owner would allow me to go in with him and he taught me a few simple things. Now I have my own greenhouse and a small but growing collection of orchids. If you learn and take the basics to heart they are the easiest houseplant you will ever grow. I recommend a phalaenopsis orchid as a starter plant.

Lena said...

Years ago, there was a tv series based on the Nero Wolfe mystery books. A detective of sorts who was unavailable during certain hours of the day, because he spent that time with the orchids that he grew in his NY City townhouse. I became hooked on the books, and on the orchids too. So did my mister. We spent a fun winter together reading the books and looking at orchids. I love huge displays of them. Some are very fragrant, and smell so nice.

Lovely photos!