Monday, September 28, 2009

Cruise Planning

Another adventure begins for us this Friday; we’re off for a cruise, a trip that has been in the works for over a year.


Source: Royal Caribbean International

We read everything available about different cruise lines and itineraries at Cruise Critics, a resource we’ve used to plan numerous cruises. After choosing our itinerary and ship, research started for the ports we’ll visit. Notes stored on my computer became our master plan.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

After research and discussions, we finalized our decisions and deleted extraneous material from the master to create a final version of our trip book. Based on past cruises, smaller versions of our book specific to each port were made this time to save hauling a hefty book everywhere. I had Kinko’s cut a ream of paper in half to make 5.5 by 8.5-inch paper on which I printed at home and bound using my binding machine.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved. Table of Contents, page 1


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved. Table of Contents, page 2

Here are the book contents; everything is tracked: cruise, flight, and hotel reservations/confirmations, ship excursions as well as private tours arranged, and so on. Click on the photos to enlarge for reading; page numbers were cropped as that’s not important for you.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

New friends are always made on our travels, so I’ve made a set of cards to hand out that simply states our name, where we live, and our email addresses so we can stay in contact later. My card background is one of my watercolors to which I added text, printed, cut out, and rounded off the edges. I smudged the email addresses on purpose for this post.



© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I used a tutorial from Schlosser Designs to sew a little case using starfish fabric to hold the cards.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Polka dot fabric used for the pockets echoes the little dots in the starfish.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! Simply AWESOME!

See ya soon.

Lorrie said...

I love the thoroughness with which you approach life!

Lorrie

Anonymous said...

Your talents and cleverness never cease to amaze me. Bon voyage!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

June you are one of the most organized people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting!

I have only been on one cruise in my life but it was a winner for our 30th anniversary - Cunard's Queen Mary 2 to New England and Canada for a fall foliage cruise. It was so delightful.

I hope you and Dub nave a wonderful time on your Caribbean cruise and I hope you leave a little time in your schedule for serendipitous discoveries, which are alway the best!! :-)

Hugs, Pat

Thimbleanna said...

Wow June! Looks like you're all ready. Your organizational skills are just amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! We went on a cruise in June and I thought I was organized -- but you are REALLY SUPER organized! Have a great time!

Bridgett said...

And here I thought I was organized!

Your skills put mine to shame!

Wow!

Everything looks and sounds AMAZING.

I hope you have the time of your lives.

)O(
boo

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely trip June. You are ever so organised.
Love the cards and holder. Great idea.

Diane Schuller said...

gosh, I LOVE all of these as well as the incredible detail you have gone to in preparation. Wow

greetingarts said...

Ooooh, I'm just itching to go on a cruise (okay, any kind of vacation anywhere is just fine with me, actually)... I imagine traveling with you would be sheer delight!

Would you mind sharing what type of binding machine you have at home? I feel like I *need* one. Especially since I have that cool Paper Gator corner rounder. :0)

Anonymous said...

A valuable post on binding machine.

Thanks,
Criag - Officetronics Binding Machine