Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Summer Fruits Recipes

The fruits of summer have been calling my name and I willingly succumbed. Throw fruit my way and I’ll roll over like a puppy to have my tummy rubbed. Here are a few recipes I tried over the last couple of days.

Ham and Pear Sandwiches



© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

  • 6 to 12 slices French bread or sourdough baguette
  • 2 tablespoons honey mustard
  • ½ pound thinly sliced baked ham
  • 1 large ripe pear, thinly sliced
  • ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
Yield: Makes 6 servings

Spread bread with mustard. Top with ham, pear and crumbled blue cheese. Close sandwiches with remaining bread or serve open face.


Source: Sorry, but I cannot remember—shame on me. There are various renditions of this recipe all over the internet, including one by Martha Stewart (she toasts her bread).


Review: I substituted Swiss cheese as my husband won’t eat blue cheese; it would also be good with Pepper Jack or Gruyère. Honey mustard is a favorite, but we also tried it with Dijon. This recipe is not only super easy and fast to assemble, it’s delicious.


Mango Bread



© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

  • 6¼ oz butter
  • 1 cup fine sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 6 oz can mango pulp
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • ½ cup chopped dried mango
Lightly grease a 6" x 9.8" loaf pan. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in remaining ingredients. Spread mixture into prepared pan, bake at 350°F for 50 minutes, or until lightly brown and firm. Stand bread in pan for 5 minutes, turn onto wire rack to cool.

Source: An Australian recipe from Joyce’s Fine
Cooking

Review: While it’s not a difficult recipe, I don’t like the floury taste. It took 15 minutes longer than instructed to bake and, even then, it didn’t seem done to me. Maybe it’s because I made my own mango pulp instead of using canned or maybe the recipe calls for too much flour. Whatever the reason, I won’t make this again.

Chilled Red Berry Soup


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
  • 1 pint fresh raspberries
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries
  • 2 cups sour cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup ginger ale
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsp triple sec
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • fresh mint leaves for garnish
Reserve 6 strawberries and 12 raspberries for garnish. Puree the remaining berries in a food processor or blender. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve over a non-reactive bowl, pushing as much pulp through as possible. Leave seeds behind.

Whisk remaining ingredients, except reserved berries and mint, into the puree. Cover and refrigerate until cold. Garnish with berries and mint.

Source: From Savor: The Royal Caribbean International Cookbook

Review: I love eating cold fruit soups when adventuring about on cruise ships and was tickled to try out this recipe. However, it left a metallic aftertaste in my mouth which bothered me. Royal Caribbean’s chefs are much better at making this recipe than I am.

Peaches under Meringue


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
  • 2 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
  • 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
  • 1 large egg white
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped sesame candy or crushed Amaretti

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

About the latter two ingredients—I couldn’t find the sesame candy anywhere, but my friend Cindy found a box of the Amaretti for me at Starbucks.

Preheat broiler.

Put peaches cut side up on a baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar (total). Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until tops begin to brown, 2 to 4 minutes.

Beat egg white with a pinch of salt in a deep bowl using an electric mixer at medium-high speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining 3 tablespoon sugar, beating until white holds stiff, glossy peaks. Fold in sesame candy or Amaretti.

Place a dollop of meringue on each peach half and broil 30 seconds. Turn off broiler and leave peaches in oven just until tips of meringue are browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute (watch carefully).

Source: Gourmet magazine, August 2009 issue

Review: We love the yummy results. This recipe is easy to make.

5 comments:

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Oh, wow, the ham and pears sound so delish!

African Kelli said...

That pear sammie sounds delish.

Kim Campbell said...

My favorite Celtic restaraunt (now closed-boo!) used to have one similar! Yummmy!

recipe cooker said...

the mango bread sound very interesting, I'm going to try it now.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wow June! You have been cooking up a storm! I think the pear sandwich would be my favorite -I love blue cheese.

I am not big fan of cold soups beyond gazpacho. A restaurant we dined in at Jackson WY had a chilled cream of pineapple soup as a special. I was tempter but at the last minute ordered the cream of potato with applewood bacon...yummy!