Friday, January 8, 2010

Blessings Friday: Starfish Quilt for Alzheimer’s

Take each day one starfish at a time—that’s the sentiment I wanted to convey on a little quilt I made for donating to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI). I learned about this project from Michele of With Hearts and Hands.


Source: Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

Quilt contributions are sold via online auction as a fund-raiser for research for Alzheimer’s, a progressive and fatal brain disease. Auctions are held the first 10 days of each month.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

The beach is my place of sanctuary; it’s where I find solace and peace. I’m hoping my tiny quilt will bring invoke similar feelings for others.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

You’re probably sick of seeing my beach watercolor painted long ago as I’ve used it for any number of craft projects. It served again as visual inspiration for my quilt. I followed no one’s rules or guidelines for making this small quilt—it all came from my heart and imagination.

To emulate the ocean’s foam as it kisses the shoreline, I used a nylon-type trim and added a tan-and-white cotton trim.

The flip-flops were replaced with starfish made by taking a photo of one and printing it in varying sizes on fabric. They were appliquéd onto the “sand” and embroidered in varying ways to imbue texture; a small stone bead was added in the center of each starfish.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I added a sleeve on the back to facilitate hanging. For my photos, I used a miniature quilt hanger found at Bella Quiltworks.

The quilts have to be no larger than 9x11 inches; mine is 8.75x10.75 inches. My quilt has been officially registered (#4754); I’ll let you know when it’s up for auction.

This quilt is a gift from my heart, a hopeful blessing, for the more than 5.3 million Americans and countless others in the world who suffer from Alzheimer’s.

Resources
  • Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative auction site
  • Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative web site
  • Basics of Alzheimer’s Disease brochure
  • Bella Quiltworks
  • Liberated Quilters blog
  • With Heart and Hands blog

10 comments:

Jane said...

It's beautiful and the sentiment is so relevant to the disease. With good days and bad days, this little quilt could offer real comfort to a caregiver too.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Beautiful in all ways!

You also did a wonderful job of explaining the the process of creating this. So, very often, it is the process as much as the resulting fiber-art that tells the true story of the connection between the world of inspiration and the world of creation manifested.

In my heart, that is what makes you a true artist. Everything you do and share, is a combination of these powerful connections and abilities.

I just love it......

greetingarts said...

You did a great job, I like that you added a hanger already.

And nope, not sick of that beach watercolor yet. It's beautiful.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your quilt piece is so pretty June, and what a fabulous cause to donate it to. Alzheimer's is such a devastating disease. We always donate to the Alzheimer's Foundation in memory of my mother-in-law. I'll be thrilled to bid on your quilt when it comes up for auction!

Thimbleanna said...

You're such a sweetheart June! Your interpretation of your painting is just perfect. I love the trim used for foam. Thanks for your daily inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is beautiful, how wonderful that it's going to support such a good cause.

Tired of your beachy scene watercolor?? Never - it is lovely in it's simplicity.

Thank you for being a blessing to others!

Barbara

dutchcomfort said...

I will never be bored seeing your beach watercolour painting and all the projects that are inspired by it!

Your little quilt is awsome!

Bridgett said...

I think your watercolor painting is STUNNING!

Diane Schuller said...

June, I never tire of that lovely watercolour painting of yours. I think it's a splendid work of art and ever so appealing. Your creativity in using that as inspiration for your quilt square so evident. Love what you've done!

Alzheimer's Disease Support said...

Alzheimer's Disease is a terrible disease. The world must ban together to find a cure for this disease.

It's terrible to have to watch your loved ones slowly disappear from the onslaught of this disease.

Alzheimer's Support Canada