Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bill on a Stick

My brother Bill couldn’t join us on our Hawaiian trip in February to celebrate my sister Connie’s 50th birthday. While sitting on the beach our first day in Oahu, we pondered ways to include him in our adventures.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

We wrote “Hi Bill” in the sand and photographed it to send him, but our little greeting seemed a tad inadequate. We ordered a few more drinks to encourage creative thinking whilst lounging on the sand and pondered the issue for awhile.
A plan was eventually formed and off we went to the nearest Target and bought a piece of poster board. I had brought everyone gifts of journals and colored pencils, so the latter came in handy for making a drawing of Bill’s head.
Back on the beach, I found a piece of a coconut stem that had fallen. We didn’t have any tape, but Connie had bandaids in her suitcase which we confiscated to attach Bill’s head to the stick.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

And thus was born “Bill on a Stick”—complete with clear hair on the top of his head and two differently colored eyes—we were going for verisimilitude. The lips are a bit off, but our endeavors fairly represent our beloved brother.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I sent our photos to Snapfish and they created a little pictorial storybook which I’ve mailed to Bill.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I’ll just share a couple of the pictures. Whatever we did, Bill did, including getting in the hot tub…

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

… making friends with our friendly bartender whilst wearing the Hawaiian outfit Carolyn got for him…

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

…and enjoying the luau.

Aloha, Bill!

7 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

That's hysterical June! I'll bet Bill LOVED it!!!

Lorrie said...

I'm laughing out loud - what was Bill's reaction?

Unknown said...

I'm curious to know what the real Bill thought of his Doppleganger taking a holiday to Hawaii with his sisters :0)
What fun - and I love the storybook idea.

Lena said...

Oh gosh, this is such a great and funny idea!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so thoughtful, creative and FUN!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a fun idea June! I'm sure Bill enjoyed seeing photos of his vicarious vacation :-)

Badger Burglar Luigi said...

Appreciate you bloggiing this