I bought the biggest bottle of the cheapest vodka I could find. Vanilla beans were split and inserted into the bottle. The date (March 11, 2010) was written on the label and the concoction was stored away in the dark depths of a seldom-used cabinet.
© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
This morning I retrieved the bottle but no, it’s not ready for use as you can see from the paleness of the color. It should be much darker and richer looking. In assessing the situation I realized I used too few vanilla beans so I’ll have to get more and try again.
If you’re thinking about making your own homemade vanilla extract, especially in time for use at Christmas, now would be a good time to start the process.
Numerous ideas abound as to making and presenting homemade vanilla extract; here are some resources for you.
- DIY Vanilla Extract with Chocolate & Zucchini
- Homemade Vanilla: The Big Bottle Method at Chickens in the Road
- Gumbo Lily’s recipe and labels project
- Twig & Thistle’s recipe
- Twig & Thistle’s bottling and labeling for Style Me Pretty
- Joy the Baker’s vanilla extract recipe
- Make vanilla extract with Bethany Actually
- Project Vanilla at The Traveler’s Lunchbox