Monday, January 24, 2011

Homemade Root Beer

Over the weekend, I tried Williams-Sonoma’s version of homemade root beer after shopping in their Destin Commons store.

Source: iSi Twist 'n Sparkle ($49.95) from Williams-Sonoma








My first purchase was the iSi Twist 'n Sparkle which carbonates almost any beverage using CO2 chargers (the kit comes with three, but you need to buy extra as you can only use each charger once). I also bought an extra set of two bottles since the kit only comes with one.

Source: Root Beer Soda Syrup ($16) from Williams-Sonoma

Next was buying the Root Beer Soda Syrup.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


Once home again, I gave the bottles a good wash before making the root beer concoction. The latter requires thorough chilling before performing the carbonation magic. A few glass mugs were popped into the freezer for drinking the root beer later.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


When everything was ready, I inserted one of the CO2 chargers in the wand handle and screwed that piece onto the bottle top. It began working immediately as evidenced by a hissing noise indicating carbonation was in process. Lots of bubbles…uh…bubbled (see photo). If you try this, make sure to wait at least one minute after the hissing stops before removing the wand and disposing of the charger.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved



And here we are—homemade root beer, yummy!

Purchasing the tools and syrup was an expensive venture—a case of canned root beer would be much cheaper and simpler, but not as much fun.

My friend Janel has a recipe I am going to try soon which calls for much cheaper ingredients. In the meantime, homemade vanilla ice cream is in the works because root beer floats are calling me.

5 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

You're always doing something fun! Your method looks a lot easier than the old way. My aunt makes root beer and it takes WEEKS for it to be ready. But boy, is it good!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This sounds so delicious, June. When I was a child I remember many of my friend's father would have seltzer cartridges delivered to the house and they would make their own sodas.

I love your Mason jar mug!

karen said...

This sounds like a fun activity - glad to see you back and busy

Yummers! said...

What fun, June!! I remember making root beer when I was a litte girl but your's seems more complicated. More power to you!!

Hmmm... homemade icecream sounds yummy!

Whipped Up said...

This just made my mouth water.
- Amy