Friday, April 29, 2011

Blessings Friday: Balcony Retreat

I’m in the midst of giving final exams; the spring semester ends for college faculty on May 5 after we submit our students’ final grades. I am very much looking forward to free time sans essay grading.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




Our master suite has a small balcony overlooking the backyard and pool. I’ve installed swivel rocking chairs and a small table. The pottery lamp was a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law and is fueled by a can of sterno—the wee fire is lovely at night.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




At the other end of the balcony, I placed a small potted rose.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




It’s a beautiful rose, isn’t it?

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




Five coconut-lined planters were found at Lowe’s and installed on the balcony railings. Since I’m not too sure what plants will work, I simply bought some on sale. We’ll see how they do.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




I’ve no idea as to the names of any of the plants other than marigolds, ivy, and rose. This green-and-white plant in my photo is a mystery.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




You can see the mounting brackets in this photo along with part of our neighbor’s yard. I’ve decided not to worry about how the brackets appear. My balcony retreat is prepared—I’m ready for the peaceful, lazy days of summer!

7 comments:

Lorrie said...

And what a delightful place to kick back, read a book, or just gaze into space! Just a few more days...

Kristen L. said...

A graduation 2011 tassel has been given to me to get to you. Will I see you at Knotty Knitters?

Junie Moon said...

Thank you, Lorrie!

Kristen, I will definitely be stopping by during Knotty Knitters night. Thank you so very much; it will be perfect to add to my scrapbook.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

You made this a beautiful oasis, June! Congrats on completing the school year, Professor June!

man said...

Love the bats!!! I'm making a set for our front door, but can you tell me how you got the bats attached to the stick? I can't figure out how to get mine on so nicely Thanks.
Dripping Springs Remodeling Contractor

Vina said...

The green and white one is called spider grass, I believe.

zahir123 said...

By definition, an expert is a skillful practitioner, rather than, say, an observer. The expert has a passion and devotion to his subject and that is the root of his primary motivation.

Consensus, earning the Benjamins or gathering a large following may be the by-products of being expert. Hopefully, they are not the primary motive of the expert.

Lastly, the expert is willing to share his expertise; otherwise it is of little value.

Abilene Roofing Contractors