Friday, June 13, 2008

Blessings Friday: Photography Club Lessons

I’m appreciative of the bounty of opportunities in our community to learn new skills. My husband and I belong to a photography club; while he’s a good photographer, my skills need improving.

In April/May, the club held a contest where we were to work with “color” and submit two photos. On June 5, each photo was critiqued and constructive criticism given after which contest winners were selected. No one knows whose photos they are until after judging is completed.

My two submissions placed in the top four to my great delight.



Fourth Place—I fell in love with the peach-like velvety leaves and colors in this rose. The colors were too soft for the judges, they wanted more color.



Second Place—You'll recognize this as a box of embroidery floss. Although the depth of field and other details worked well, where I went wrong was blowing out the red colors on the right.



There are lots you can do with your photos. I used one of my rubber duck photos to make invitations to our annual pool party (last Saturday). I printed each photo on my HP Photosmart printer. Party details were printed on the back by flipping the photos over in the printer.



Magnets glued onto the bottom of tiny rubber ducks made a fun way for folks to post them on their fridge as reminders.

Hugs!


18 comments:

a pink-bee said...

You do the neatest things ~ Love the photo's. Thanks for sharing info on each ~ will have to think more about my color and where it is in my photo's :). Have a happy weekend :)
crystal:)

Mom IsAmagpie said...

Your photography is amazing, and I can see why you placed. Those invitations are wonderful. Every time I come here I know there is something amazing waiting, and somehow you never disappoint.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the photos! I minored in photography in college, so I know how the critiquing is nerve wracking. After seeing your beautiful photos, I think it's time to dust off those old skills and start taking the time to edit my photos! The ducky invitations are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Wow - those are beautiful photos. Great job, June and congrats on placing! I'm guessing everything you touch comes out beautifully.

Anonymous said...

What kind of camera do you use? Beautiful pics! ~D

Judy said...

I love the rose. What beautiful pictures. Congrats on doing so well.

The Wooden Spool said...

Lovely photos!
Have a fun pool party!!!!
Love your flip flops!!!! So colorful and ccccute! And to think you made them, makes them extra special.
Peach ice cream! My favorite, too!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

You are a busy "duckie"! You continue to be a great inspiration. :-) Rosie

Anonymous said...

I really like those pictures, especially the yellow rose, I like how the peach is dispersed through the yellow.

What adorable invitation and what a great idea using the duck magnets.

Hugs!!!!

Saucy said...

You have mad photography skills, sister! I'm so proud of you.

Leslie said...

Just beautiful! Congratulations!!! I want to work on my photography skills, too.

I love the purse, too. I love how you have such varied interests! You are always busy doing some fun thing! Hugs, Leslie in tx

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos June, impossible to think you are learning.

Thimbleanna said...

Congratulations on your photo success June. You always have the best, inspiring ideas!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

You are indeed very lucky to have opportunities in your community to learn new skills, June.

I'm happy that your photographs did so well in the contest -- their colors were wonderful!

Have fun at your pool party! Hope the monsoons don't come while you are celebrating.

Hugs, Pat

Minnesota Matron said...

These are stunning. My photos wobble and blur because I drool at the face of technology of any sort. Here from Mrs. G's blog roll. . .

Unknown said...

Oh June! I am always in such AWE of you! You are such a talent! I have missed you.
Hugs and come for a visit!

Anonymous said...

the photography club must be a great thing to participate in; you're very fortunate. I love the photos and can see why they placed so high. And, what grand ideas for the invitations. Using the cute photos was super but adding the ducky magnet was brilliant!

Diane

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful photos June!