Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Special Olympics World Winter Games Scarf Project



To continue from yesterday, each Stitch n’ Pitch attendee received a huge bag of goodies on Sunday.



In our new totes are yarn, patterns, kits, needles, needle protectors, knitting greeting cards, and lots of other things.



Because I photographed our adventures for Purls' newsletter and web site, they gave me a copy of the premier issue of Debbie Bliss’ new knitting magazine as a thank-you gift.



My knitting project during the baseball game was a scarf for the Special Olympics World Winter Games Scarf Project which I learned about at the Inspired Tokens blog. The goal is to provide each athlete with a scarf symbolizing our support (scarves must be received by no later than January 15, 2009). The games are scheduled for February 7–13, 2009.



This is what I made during the Stitch ‘n Pitch game. You can use whatever pattern you want; however, the Special Olympics Committee requires:

" ...that the scarves are knitted or crocheted by hand using delft blue (885) and white (311) Red Heart Super Saver yarn, because these colors perfectly match the Special Olympics logo and were chosen specifically by the World Winter Games organizers."



The pattern I used was created especially for the Special Olympics by Coats and Clarks, one of the sponsors. The only place I could find the specific yarns required was WalMart.

4 comments:

Yummers! said...

I love your scarf and what a wonderful idea!! That's something that I could do... will check out Walmart.

What a goodie bag!! WOW!! Enjoy!
Joni

Thimbleanna said...

Man June! Where do you find these projects -- this looks like such a fun one! (Looking especially cool with those adorable baseball knitting needles!) Looks like you got lots of goodies in your bag -- that sweater pattern peeking out there looks especially interesting. And how was the Debbie Bliss magazine?

meg said...

Wow! What a haul of goodies~ that looked like a great event :-)
I joined the Special Olympics Scarf project through Ravelry & plan on promoting it on my blog this week- I should have know you would already be busy at it :-)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This is a pretty scarf and I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled to receive it at the Special Olympics World Winter games, June!


Hugs, Pat