Monday, August 25, 2008

Stitch N’ Pitch



Fifty of us ventured forth from Tucson yesterday on a road trip to Phoenix to see the Arizona Diamondbacks–Florida Marlins baseball game at Chase Field in Phoenix.


We joined crafters from other cities as part of the National Needle Arts Association Stitch n’ Pitch Day. We were part of 31,518 baseball fans cheering on the two teams.


It was fun to see all the projects being worked on during the two hour bus ride to the game. The trip home again was much different, most everyone was too tired to do much other than nap.


When we arrived, each of the Stitch n’ Pitch attendees was issued fun t-shirts. The front says “D-backs” in a cross-stitch design.


We got to do a bit of crafty shopping at some of the various tables set up for us. This is the Purls of Tucson table.


I bought a pair of baseball knitting needles—perfect for using during the game.


There were a few demonstrations of skills such as basket weaving and spinning.


A number of members of the Society for Creative Anachronism came in costumes to show us their handiwork. This couple both made their own outfits.


This is a close-up of some of the detail. They put a lot of work into these creations.


Source: AP Photo by Mary Altaffer

Republican presidential candidate, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Olympic beach volleyball gold medalist Misty May-Treanor. I hope I don’t get into trouble using AP photos, but I was so excited about them being at the game.


Source: AP
Photo by Ross D. Franklin

Misty May-Treanor threw out the ceremonial first pitch to her husband, Marlins catcher Matt Treanor. It seemed so strange seeing her at the baseball game since we watched her win gold in Beijing just the other night.


Then, of course, there was the actual game which is why we were all there.


The final score. Although I’m a Diamondbacks fan, I’m actually tickled the Marlins won because I thought it was a nice circle of success for Misty-May Treanor and her husband.

Stitch N' Pitch events are popping up all over the US and Canada, maybe there’s a game near you. Tomorrow I'll share the project I worked on at the game as well as the large bag of goodies we were each given.

6 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oh how fun! I'd love to do something like that, although I think I'd feel like a traitor if I went to a baseball game with a bunch of knitters instead of with my son LOL. I LOVE those baseball knitting needles -- they're awesome!!!

dutchcomfort said...

Oh my, you have so much fabulous events to go to!

We welcomed our sports(wo)men back from Beijing this afternoon!

Most of the medals were won by women!

Yummers! said...

That really sounds like a fun, fun day!! I'm not a baseball fan/follower, but I would have gone just to buy those adorable knitting needles. They are great!!

I had a terrible time finding that HP printer. We went to sooooo many stores and finally found it at Target of all places. I just love it and just hooked it up to my computer. What can it do that I may not know about? Any little tips would be appreciated.
Love,
Joni

rohanknitter said...

That looks like so much fun! I really love those baseball needles, TOO cute! I would love to go to a stitch n pitch, I keep wishing the Cubs would sponsor one, as that is my husband and boys' team of choice.

Unknown said...

Oh June! How exciting for all of you! I love seeing a man knitting...that is wonderful!

Come by and see the last installment of my mystery trip!
Cheers!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wow June! What a wonderful game to attend and such a nice event.

Hugs, pat