Over the weekend I made a linen heart sachet using a free copy of a cross-stitch chart, Coeur Romantique, designed by Isabelle Mazabraud Reflets de Soie. I’ve saved this project since 2003 and don’t think she offers it anymore as I can’t find it on her site for you.
© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
I used 18-count linen and stitched one thread over one thread. The finished piece is 7-inches across, a good-size heart I stuffed with aromatic lavender. It can be hung in my closet, placed on a shelf with our linens, decorate a doorknob, or used in other ways.
While the cross-stitch design isn’t mine, I can share with you how to make a heart of your very own. You can use any design you like, embroidery, cross-stitch, or even a piece of patchwork. The following tutorial is also available in PDF version or in my sidebar.
Linen Heart Sachet Tutorial
- 2 pieces 18-count linen (or other fabric), each piece at least 9½-inch square. You’ll stitch your chosen design on one fabric piece. Note: my finished cross-stitch design is 4x3¼ inches.
- Heart template (I’ve made a PDF template for you here)
- Water-soluble marking pen
- Silk or satin ribbon, 6-inches in length
- Thread to match linen
- Centering the linen, complete your chosen needlework design on one piece of the linen.
- Using a lightbox, window, or other light source, center the heart template on the back of the fabric with your finished design (the light source helps you see the design through the back of the linen). Using a water-soluble pen, trace around edge of the heart pattern.
- Place the two fabrics right-sides together, pin in place, leaving space in the top of the heart for the ribbon hanger.
- Fold your ribbon in half. Place it in inside the top center of the heart so that the ribbon ends extend past the top center (the ribbon itself should point towards the design area). Pin in place. You will secure the ribbon in the next step.
- Stitch around the tracing line you marked, leaving a 3-inch opening on the lower side of the heart, near but not on the point. Trim the excess fabric away and notch the curves of the heart, including the top of the heart where the ribbon is attached. Turn right-side out.
- Fill your heart with lavender. Pin opening in place. Slip-stitch closed.