Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Thrifted Thread Rack

My husband found this framed thread rack at a garage sale some time ago. He bought it for me for fifty cents. It is made from pieces of wood and screws/nut thingies carefully tightened into place—functional but not all that attractive to me.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

It’s been living in my garage until I could decide what to do with it. Use as is? Take out the screws and line with fabric before putting the screws back together? Paint it different colors?


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

This morning I decided to simply prime the piece and paint it white. Fortunately, supplies were already on hand enabling me to get right to work.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Hanging the rack on the wall leaves more tabletop work space and helps me know what threads are already in my stash.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for something just like this! I Love it and I definitely love it in the white.

karen said...

I'd like to make something like this. It really helps me to see what I have. Love the pattern of the placement of the screws. How are the screws attached - from the back or from the front- how thick is the backing board? Lots of questions - am going to study your photos more closely. White was a good choice - the colourful threads and spool sizes look great on it. Thanks for posting this.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It looks great, June! What a bargain it was and it looks like a wonderfully handy storage solution.

Kathy said...

I love it when we find great things like that and can make them wonderful and useful again! Nice job. I'm a big fan of white. It looks great!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow, what a find! I love having my threads hanging -- the problem is that I've exceeded my rack space, so I still have baskets. ;-)

Diane Schuller said...

how thoughtful of Dub to pick this up and what a bargoon! :)
You made it look so nice simply by painting it and does it ever serve the purpose. Lovely.

Saucy said...

That really is a lovely find! You can never go wrong to paint things like that white, it is classic... and with the colourful threads on it, it becomes a work of art!

iSew said...

That looks pretty darn good!

Anonymous said...

what a good husband you have! and what a great thing the have on the wall, I love practical beautiful things. love the white with all the great thread colors.