Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Making Camera Straps

My camera gets a lot of usage, not only for blogging purposes but also for camera club challenges and just plain fun. Over the weekend I decided it’s time for a new camera strap.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved. 2007 Camera Strap

I’ve been using a strap bought on Etsy in 2007. Two new Nikons later, I’ve still been using this strap. It was starting to look tired and quite well-worn.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved. Old OpTech Camera Strap

This old OpTech strap has been stored in our closet for a few years. My husband has one, too. We like them because they have great stretchy, cushiony qualities easing neck strain. I sacrificed this comfort when deciding to use the pretty strap with the Amy Butler fabric in the first photo. My neck now requires I make a better choice, so I retrieved my old OpTech for a bit of revitalization.


© Dub Scroggin, All Rights Reserved. June's Revitalized OpTech Camera Strap

While there are numerous tutorials for making camera straps (see Resources), I simply measured the length and width of the OpTech strap, allowed for a ¼-inch seam, the stretch factor, and turning under the ends. I used leftover fabric to cut the resulting measurements. Next came sewing a seam, turning the resultant tube right-side out, and pressing it so the seam runs down the middle of one side. Just like magic, there I was with a new strap cover which slid over the OpTech strap. The ends are tucked into the clip thingies on each side. It can be removed for washing, if necessary. If I get tired of the fabric, a new strap can easily be made.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved. Dub's Revitalized OpTech Camera Strap

After seeing my new strap, my husband asked for one. I led him to the Sacred Stash Mountain and let him pick out fabric. He chose a blue batik leaf print and I made his new strap. It was kind of fun, the two of us taking pictures of each other’s camera.


Resources

The following blogs offer tutorials for making camera straps:

  • Camera Strap Cover: Design Sponge
  • Camera Strap Redo: Craft Leftovers
  • Camera Strap Slipcover: Made by Petchy
  • How to Make a Camera Strap: ikat bag
  • How to Make a Crafty Camera Strap: Curbly

9 comments:

rohanknitter said...

Your straps turned out just great, and thanks for all the tutorial links!! (love "Sacred Stash Mountain!!)

Anonymous said...

Cool straps! I wanted to ask what your favorite sites for camera challenges are. I am trying to stretch my photography abilities a little bit.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Making a camera strap was the one and only thing I didn't get accomplished before heading out to the
Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show
Now, I see yours and I am SO inspired! Gorgeous...absolutely love this!!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Very pretty and versatile June!

Val said...

Who would have thunk it? (Is that a word, thunk?) Ha! I love the straps!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Great idea!
They turned out beautiful.

I'd love to make myself a pretty one. :)

Kimberly

DIane Schuller said...

oh JUne I love that you did this. On Shutter Sisters they were promoting some of these camera straps that are made by a couple of gals at Etsy plus the recycled seat belt camera straps sold at PhotoJojo. I've been tempted to get one of the pretty Etsy camera straps but really I could make one too couldn't I?

I love both of yours. Wow, you have a D700! Holy Toledo! Have a grand day June!

Gayle said...

I came here by way of Diane's blog. Very cool straps! I have some fabric that I love and haven't know what to do with. This might be just the right project! Thank you!

Night Vision Scope said...

Oh June, it was inspiring, so creative. The new straps look very colorful and bright. Love it very much. Thanks for mentioning more tutorial sources. I would definitely take tours there one by one.