Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween—my favorite holiday of the year! Our treats are ready to give to the costumed characters visiting us this evening. Tonight is also when many folks adjust their clocks for daylight savings time. I think we can call this the witching hour this year.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


This is our huge pumpkin basket we fill with the treats we’re handing out. We bought the basket about 10 years ago at some store in Tucson which I can no longer remember.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


Just like last year, I’ve decorated little muslin bags by stamping different Halloween designs on them. Candy treats are tucked into each bag.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

The basket is stuffed, but we have many, many extras in case the basket empties too soon.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Each year I try a different Halloween cake. This year it’s the Over the Moon cake from the October 2009 issue of Country Living magazine (page 68). The instructions call for making black bat cookies as decorative elements.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Since I had to dig out my bat cookie cutter, I thought I’d go ahead and make a simple drawstring bag to store my Halloween cookie cutters.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

The end result is a hauntingly-festive dessert to offer my sister Connie and her husband Jim when they come for dinner tonight.


Have a boo-ful Halloween!

7 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It's the perfect cake for you to serve, Ms. Junie Moon! Love it! I saw that in Country Living and thought it was so cool and yours is even better!

Wow -- the hand stamped muslin bags are adorable! If I was a child I'd make sure I visited your house on Halloween!

What costume are you wearing today? Enjoy all the festivities!

Jennifer W. said...

Have a good one!!

dutchcomfort said...

Happy Halloween June!!

I love to see all the wonderful creations you made. I feel sorry we don‘t celebrate Halloween overhere!

Thimbleanna said...

What a great cake June! And I love your adorable little bags. Sadly, we only had about 8 trick or treaters this year. We had a bunch last year -- it's always feast or famine here. I hopey you had a wonderful dinner!

iSew said...

Those are beautiful treats! Next year I'm trick or treating in your neighborhood. We didn't get one kid tonight!! I was heartbroken.

That cake looks so great, I love it!

Melanie's Randomness said...

Love bats on the cake! Ooo the houses that give out baggies for treats are the most awesome. =)

Bridgett said...

Hi Junie...where do you get those muslin bags? I've been looking everywhere and can't find them. I want some for my ritual baths.

Your cake looks pretty great!

)O(
boo