Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Make Easy Jack O’Lantern Treats

When my siblings, cousins, and I were wee children, my grandmother made us simple little treats using pieces of leftover dough on her pie baking days. She’d cut the dough into strips and sprinkle them with cinnamon before baking them. The fragrance coming out of Grandma’s oven made us drool in anticipation.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Many years later when I had my own children, I discovered a similar trick perfect for Halloween—Jack O’Lantern treats made of flour tortillas and cinnamon sugar.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

All you need to make these treats are non-stick cooking spray, flour tortillas (in whatever size you wish), and cinnamon sugar.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

  1. With a sharp knife, cut out various Jack O’Lantern faces in the tortillas. Keep the tortillas covered with a damp cloth and just use one tortilla at a time.
  2. Spray a skillet with Pam, heat the skillet on medium high, and plop in a tortilla. When the tortilla shell starts to bubble (this only takes a few seconds), quickly flip it over and repeat for the other side.
  3. Lift it out and place on a plate, generously sprinkling cinnamon sugar on both sides.
  4. Do the same for additional tortillas.
  5. Eat ‘em up right away.

8 comments:

sassypriscilla said...

What a clever, fun idea.

My mom would dab butter, cinnamon and sugar on a round of leftover pie dough, roll it up and bake it for me as a treat!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

June your reminiscence about the leftover pie dough brought back memories to me as my mom used to do the same. Sometimes she's let me play with the dough and then bake it and it would be as hard as a rock but I still loved it!

Your tortilla pumpkin faces are a SW version of fun!

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog today ..I really appreciate it!

Lorrie said...

Clever, fun, and delicious! Easy, too. What could be better?

Quasi Serendipita said...

Genius! And very quick too. When I was little I used to be given left over dough or pastry to make "biscuits" which we would sprinkle with sugar and decorate with raisins. It always tasted better than it ought to have done!

chelsea said...

We are doing this tonight!! Thanks for sharing!

Kim Campbell said...

Cuuute!!

Diane Schuller said...

gosh I sure remember those strips of cinnamon sugar coated dough! This is a great idea for parents to make with their kids or as party fare! As always, you have such great ideas June.

Bridgett said...

Clever! Of course, all your ideas are clever. :)

)O(
boo