Thursday, October 29, 2009

Brunhilda's Midnight Ride

Brunhilda is ready for Halloween night. I finished a pillow featuring her late yesterday from a pattern created by Crabapple Hill Studio.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

My finished pillow is 12-inches wide and 45 inches in length, fitting just right on our small couch. You get to do all kinds of things with this whimsical project: draw (trace), embroider, piece, sew, and embellish with beads and fun trims. I love projects that engage me in multiple ways.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I took the pillow outside to try to get pictures in a better light. Crabapple Hills Studio offers quite wonderful projects. I’ve made some of them before and always enjoy them.

An extra great thing about this pillow is that the outside case can be removed for washing. Now I’m thinking maybe a Christmas or other holiday design could be stitched and then simply insert the separate pillow I made out of muslin.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

The pattern calls for using Weeks Dye Works floss; however, my local cross-stitching store closed months ago and this floss isn’t carried at Jo-Ann’s. So I substituted DMC to approximate the colors as best I could: DMC 3852 instead of Weeks’ Marigold #2225, DMC 3776 instead of Weeks’ Pumpkin #2228, and DMC 413 instead of Weeks’ Kohl.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


The fabrics I chose match the floss colors pretty closely. The embroidered is worked on a cream fabric. Instead of a bright orange, I chose fabric with a bit of orangy-clay tones to it, the black is a subtle print which goes well with the witchy concept, and the third fabric has kohl-colored swirls which seems like Halloween night to me.

Brunhilda is ready for Halloween night’s merry mischief.

10 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

Very cute! Adds a nice touch to an elegant chair and yet is still festive! Happy Halloween! And ride those winds, June ;)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I like the witch pattern very much and your finishings are perfect! It looks so festive! Thanks for the link -- I'd like to look at their products.

Kim Campbell said...

That is SO cute!!!! I love it!!

Write your own craft book darnit!!

Kristie said...

It turned out great, June!

rohanknitter said...

It turned out great! I love Crabapple Hill Studio, I just discovered them recently. I have the cutest snowman stitchery by them to do, I just need to get started!

Winding Ways said...

You might want to correct your spelling the second time you mention the pattern company. I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Cra -b-apple, not with a p!

The Sproutz Store said...

Great work. I love the pillow!

Diane Schuller said...

This is beautiful, if things Halloween can be called beautiful :) I really like this June. Where on earth do you store all these seasonal things you create?

Thimbleanna said...

Oh June -- that pillow is just adorable! I love Crabapple Hill stuff too. I've seen that pillow before, but never been so struck by it -- I might have to have one of those LOL!

Bridgett said...

That is so adorable!
What a perfect little Halloween pillow. :)