Monday, October 26, 2009

Make Halloween Cookie Mix Gifts

I don’t know why I do this, but I’ve stockpiled projects over the years instead of doing them right away. Maybe my brain worries I’ll run out of crafty ideas and such a backlog makes me feel better. Who knows? Suffice it to say there’s always something creative to do at my house.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


In 2005 I saw bagged Halloween cookie mixes in the stores and thought they’d make nice gifts. This is the original Make & Paint Vanilla Sugar Ghost Cookies kit I purchased. Along with the dry ingredients, it includes the recipe, instructions, and a ghost cookie cutter. I bought one kit and saved it as it dawned on me I could make my own, similar to the frugal gifts-in-a-jar projects you find on the Internet. The project is being implemented this year as Halloween treats for our neighbors.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


Ghost cookie cutters found on sale were added to my stash. Then I discovered Halloween bandanas in the same fabric as used for the store-bought kit on clearance at JoAnn’s for $1 each after Halloween a couple of years ago. Last week the same bandanas were in stock and priced at $1.94, but any Halloween fabric will work.

Now all the packaging components are gathered, it’s time to make the cookie mix. Assemble and bag the following dry ingredients:

  • 1½ cups powdered sugar
  • 2½ cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


Plastic treat bags work for the dry ingredients. I added a can of icing in case the recipients want to decorate their cookies.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


An instruction card helps your recipient know what to do; just tuck it inside your gift set.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


I traced around one of the cookie cutters to make a tag template; use it if it’s helpful to you.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Here are our finished gifts which we’ll deliver this week. This same project can be used for any holiday by merely changing the fabric, cookie cutter shape, and modifying the name of the cookies.

7 comments:

calamity kim said...

wish we were neighbors! we'd have a fabulous spooky time!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi June

I'd love to get such a cute gift! It's especially perfect for families with young children, or grandchildren, so that they can make the cookies together.

Hugs, Pat

grendelskin said...

Oh, boy, do I want to come to one of your parties! You're doing a bang-up job and it's still days away!

Mother Moon said...

dont you just love it when you get those great buys.. I have a closet full of just that... I love the idea for your goodie bag... really cute and extremely economical...

Michele Bilyeu said...

Adorable! You are just as sweet as those sugar cookies, I swear woman!!!! Happy Halloween and don't let those big bad boo's get you!!!

Toronto home staging said...

Hi. Very good idea. Such a gift would make me very happy. Cookies in our house mustn't miss on the table during Halloween. This year I'm going to make cookies with skeleton shape. I found the recipe on the internet so I hope it will work.

Good luck,
Ella

Bridgett said...

Can I be your neighbor? :)

)O(
boo