Monday, October 22, 2007

Busy Weekend and a Costume Mystery

This was a full weekend. My husband is off every other Friday so this week we spent Friday at Saguaro National Park East. Then, in addition to Halloween movie night, Saturday we went to the Tucson Miniature Show so I could see all the dollhouse miniatures, I made my daily hospital visits, and Sunday we went to the Pima Air and Space Museum, one of the largest air and space museums in the world. Whew!



Look at these great 1940s airline baggage stickers on display at the museum. There was such a strong glare on the glass the picture had to be taken from the side. I won’t bore you with the 75 million airplane and jet photos my husband took. But I will tell you that we actually got to board the Presidential jet that Kennedy and Johnson used, the one where Johnson was sworn in as Kennedy's body was being returned to D.C.

So many things to do that not much in the way of sewing is getting done lately but tomorrow I’m sewing two Amy Butler projects: the bedside organizer for someone in the hospital and the bag for the Sew-along project.

I have been cooking a lot, too. Wonderful aromas have been wafting about my kitchen lately as I make new as well as old family recipes.

Homemade Vegetable Soup



My grandmother, mother, and now my sisters and I save every single bit of leftover vegetables, gravy, rice, and so on. Each of us keeps a Tupperware container in the freezer part of our refrigerator and just add to it. Nothing gets wasted. When the container is full, it’s time to make homemade vegetable soup.

This weekend I made 16-quarts of soup. I divided this into meal-size portions for my big freezer. Martha Stewart has free printable freezer labels you can use, click here for the labels and you'll want the how-to instructions.



You can see one of the vintage porcelain Halloween witch napkin rings from my napkin ring collection.

Cemetery Walking Tour

I’m supposed to be walking more because of my knee replacement so, in addition to all our weekend walking activities, today I'm taking a tour I signed up for of Evergreen Cemetery to visit gravesites of a number of historical characters, including Sam Hughes, Levi Manning, Edward Nye Fish, Harry Arizona Drachman, and Thomas Jeffords. The only other cemeteries I’ve visited in Arizona are Boot Hill in Tombstone and the one at the Yuma Territorial Prison. I don’t hang around them much.

Costume Mystery



This is one of the costumes in my collection—very easy to make using my computer and printable fabric. I thought it was pretty clever but no one ever figured it out. The rest of the costume included my husband’s black U.S. Army Ranger beret and black jeans.

Can you guess what my costume represents?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A while back, I started saving all of the leftover bread ("I'll make breadcrumbs, and bread pudding, and...."); so far, all I've managed to do is crowd the freezer. ;)

Cute Halloween shirt! OK, I'll guess...blackmail?

a pink-bee said...

What a great idea for saving food and using it - thanks Junie !
You get soooo much done ! WOW :)
I still thinking about the costume- hmmm? Have a happy day :)
crystal xo

Anonymous said...

I do that also - keep a ziploc bag for veggies. We're having soup for supper from my freezer bag tonight! Perfect on a cold, rainy autumn day.

Alice Regan said...

I do that...I save all the leftovers in the freezer in a big container. When the container is full, I make soup. I call it garbage soup, it's always good. Never had a bad batch yet.

Scrappy Moments said...

Soup Looks Really Yummy! Are You going to be a "WITCHY POSTAL CARRIER"? LOL. Am I close? Maybe Just a Withch? The Stamp Confused me :)

Angie

Unknown said...

MMmm the soup sounds great.. what a good idea!!

Kim Campbell said...

Yep, my family does the same thing with vegetables.

Anonymous said...

You're Blackmail! xD