Monday, October 29, 2007

Buttons and Things



Michelle at Greetingarts sponsored an embroidered button swap. Our mandate: make and embellish five covered buttons—something I had not done before.

Since making my swap buttons, I’ve transferred that learning to make buttons for other things such as my Halloween party hat and the two Bend the Rules clutches I made. Learning new skills is one of the main reasons I join swaps.



Here are the gorgeous buttons I received. Update: sweet Michelle helped identify my mystery buttons. Thank you to all the creative designers for your beautful work.

My offering was a crown cross-stitched using DMC 815 on a piece of 32-count clay Irish linen, two strands over two linen threads. The crown chart was a free offering from a French site.



I made a presentation card for each button.

Brownies' Food Drive



Each year some of our neighbors’ little girls let us know they'll be stopping by to collect for their Brownie troop’s food drive. On Saturday my husband and I bought environmental-friendly shopping totes and filled them with non-perishable food items for the Brownies' visit on Sunday. I hope Brownies visit your neighborhood, too.

Amy Butler Bedside Organizer



Here is the finished Amy Butler bedside organizer I made for my hospitalized friend.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

June have I told you what a truly lovely lady you are! You amaze me and thats why I enjoy your blog so very much! Many hugs to you dear blog friend!

Unknown said...

June, you really are inspiring. Your buttons and the Amy Butler Organizer look great!

a pink-bee said...

Junie, you make the neatest things for the swaps you are in :)
Your buttons are so pretty and love the way you displayed them. How lovely you bedside organizer turned out ! You go Junie !!
Have a Happy Day :)
crystal xo

Yummers! said...

June,
I am behind in my blog reading, so I will just comment on today's blog and then go back and read what I missed.

You shine in "Presentation"!! No matter what you do or make, it is presented so beautifully. You can take the ordinary and make it extraordinary with your details. I think your button is beautiful and regal.

xo Joni

Kristi said...

I love the buttons. How in the world do you do them? I know how to cross stitch, wing it at embroidery and have covered a few buttons in my day, but how do you center the design so it doesn't spill over the edge or end up off center? There are so many things you could do with those buttons! The organizer looks great too!
Way to go on the food drive! As you know I'm all for them! :-) I wish I could get you a card to participate in a kid's gift box drive. Unfortunately I lost the mailer, so I don't know if they have a website. Basically you put together a box of gifts for a child in a third world country. You also send a donation for a child. If you include your address, they may write back! I really need to ask my friend Susie if I can stop by and get another pamphlet. I'll let you know about it on my blog in case you are interested.

greetingarts said...

If you go to the Embroidered Buttons Flickr group page, http://www.flickr.com/groups/575221@N22/pool/
you can find who made your buttons. If they're photos I took, I put the sender's name in the title, and then you can go back on my blog and click on the person's link. Hope that helps, otherwise send me an email and I'll track down who made what for you. Thanks for playing!

Alice Regan said...

What a wonderful idea..the buttons. Love the crown button and your organizer, love it! I see you have a 'Victoria' magazine tucked inside. Isn't it great to have her back?

Home ec new Haven said...

nice, nice, nice!

Anonymous said...

The bedside caddy is such a beautiful and thoughtful gift for your friend. And the way you presented your button is so very pretty.

Monica said...

cool buttons, thjat looks like fun. I really like the one with the crown!

Kim Campbell said...

Junie, Junie, Junie! You do such fun and pretty stuff! I can't wait to print off the labels and make my own cleansers!! You inspire me!

Angel Jem said...

That is a really good idea for a hospitalized friend! And the buttons look great.

African Kelli said...

You are so sweet June. These projects are fabulous! I hope you had a great weekend to relax and you are feeling good this week.

Regina said...

I just love the buttons you made. So regal and elegant and the presentation is perfectly lovely!

shellsbells said...

Thank you for my lovely crown button. I enjoyed this whole experience immensly.
shelley