Friday, April 17, 2009

Love Stamp Pillow

In 1982, the U.S. Postal Service issued a 20-cent Love stamp designed by artist Mary Faulconer of New York City. She used flowers to illustrate each letter:

L: miniature red poppies
O: painted daisies and miniature pansies
V: cornflowers (bachelor's buttons)
E: coral bells



Soon after the stamp was issued, a cross-stitch pattern became available that I purchased and gave to my mom. I retrieved her finished piece yesterday from the box of stuff I inherited and made it into a pillow. It was one of the things on my list to finish as part of Tallgrass Studio’s “Spring to Finishproject.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Pillows are my answer to getting a few of Mom’s projects completed since we haven’t any wall space left at our house for framed work.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I used mid-weight decorator fabric for the backing. Although the colors in the photo look off to me, the different shades of greens in the fringe exactly match the backing fabric and colors used to stitch the leaves on the pillow’s front.

TIP: After sewing the fringe around the perimeter of the finished needlework piece, I carefully taped it down to keep it somewhat flat and out of the way when sewing the backing. It curtailed some of the bulk and kept the gazillions of fringe pieces from getting caught in my sewing machine.

9 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

It's beautiful June. And YAY for another finished object!

Dena Rooney-Berg (SugarShop) said...

Great projet!!!!

Anonymous said...

I adore what you've been doing to finish up some of these projects. I also love the story about how this beautiful piece your mom did came to be (from her thoughtful daughter). Oh, and great tip about the fringe too.

You've inspired me to put my sewing machine back to work. I purchased Amy Karol's book, "Bend-the-Rules Sewing" and can hardly wait to do my first project!

meg said...

What a beautiful way to finish your mom's lovely work, and now you get to enjoy it all the time. Good for you, June!

FinnyKnits said...

WOW. Both for the work that goes into a cross-stitch like that (really? people can do this?) and a final product so expertly executed. Nice work to you both!

rohanknitter said...

What a beautiful piece, and you certainly made it into a lovely finished object!!!

dutchcomfort said...

I love the way you finish projects from your mum into wonderful new objects!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I think was my favorite "LOVE" stamp of all of time. The pillow is gorgeous June! What a treasure it is.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely. That was one of my favorite stamps. The LOVE stamps are often some of the prettiest, I think. I like it made into a pillow.

Lena