Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Great Dryer Balls Experiment

We converted to digital phone and bundled our cable services about six weeks ago. It hasn’t worked out too well for us. We can’t use the phone half the time, necessitating an unplanned workout for my cell phone. Plus, we enjoy only intermittent internet access—so much for technological advances.

Anyway, I wrote about making dryer balls in my last post. A number of helpful comments were left about their usage. If you have a chance, give them a read. Today I’m sharing my findings on the functionality of wool dryer balls.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Experiment 1: Cotton Rugs

Usually I wash my cotton bathroom throw rugs and hang them outside to dry in the sunshine. For this experiment, I tossed them in the dryer along with 3 wool dryer balls.

Result: The rugs did indeed dry faster. An added bonus was their “fluffication” factor which I appreciated. No static electricity was noted.

Experiment 2: Street Clothes

A load of clothes was washed and into the dryer they went along with the wool balls.

Result: There was no discernible saving of drying time; I actually had to extend my normal time by 15 minutes. Static electricity was quite unhappily noted.

Experiment 3: Undies

Lingerie was next. I usually do not dry these in the dryer, but held my breath and gave this part of the experiment a go.

Result: Some of my undies clung to the wool balls as though they were newly married. As for static electricity, I absolutely had to say bad words because I zapped myself big time—it’s terrible when your own panties attack you.

Experiment 4: Jeans

Aggravated about the electrostatic shocks inflicted by Experiment 3, I decided to beat the heck out of our jeans in the washer. Further punishment was rendered in the dryer with the wool balls.

Result: The jeans did dry faster, softer, and no electrostatic shocks ensued (maybe they were afraid of me at this point).

Final Assessment

I’ll use my wool dryer balls for rugs, towels, and jeans only. Everything else will be cautiously treated in a different way.


13 comments:

Kristie said...

"it’s terrible when your own panties attack you."

Truer words were never spoken.

I love you, June...have I told you that lately?

Heidi said...

"Some of my undies clung to the wool balls as though they were newly married."

HAHAHAHA!

dutchcomfort said...

This is hilarious! Panties attacking you!

Thanks for your assessment on the dryer balls! I’m waiting for a video of the experiment now!

Anonymous said...

oh June this was hilarious especially the segment on the undies!! What a great set of experiments you've carried out on our behalf and it does appear that the wool balls are well suited to cotton.

How awful about the phone experiment -- I do hope you will be able to revert back to your previous phone plan.

Shauna said...

Oh June, I really needed a laugh today - the "panties" line was right on target! ;)

Thanks for the report on your experiment. Maybe I'll be able to try it out myself one of these days!

shenry said...

Great follow up. I was so curious, so I'm glad you posted this.

undies clinging to wool balls... there is a dirty joke in there somewhere, but I'm going to stay away from it.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

~Some of my undies clung to the wool balls as though they were newly married.~ THE best sentence that I have ever EVER read on a blog. For reals. I wish that I had an award to give to you.

We would call it the Wooly Balls of Valor or something.

Anonymous said...

June, thanks for accepting this potentially dangerous mission. I'll bet when you started out you had no idea you'd be doing battle with your own unmentionables!

I want to share your "Dryer Balls Experiment" with everyone I know, it was too funny!!

Barbara
Oh yeah... the results were interesting too!

karen said...

This was such a great post to read and I really liked eh idea for cooking up a theme menu based on twilight in an earlier blog posting

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi June!

I'm back from Colorado and trying to catch up all week. Sorry to hear about your phone/cable issues...that is so frustrating!

This post was funny....who knew undies could attack?

I stick to Bounce sheets but I do admit to saving and reusing them again in bunches to make sure I don't waste them.

FinnyKnits said...

I'm not going to launch into jokes pertaining to balls and panties and electrical attractions here, but thanks for the notes!

I think I'll try this with my towels and jeans - they need abuse.

Mademoiselle Julie said...

Undies attack?! Holy smokes! :) I am back from vacation & wanted to stop by. Read-up on you soon! Cheers, Julie

Gumbo Lily said...

I tried the wool dyer balls this past winter, and I found more static cling than ever. The all-cotton things were fine, but nothing else. Now that it's warm, I'm hanging most of the laundry out on the clothesline. I like the scratchy loofa towels.

Jody