Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Perpetual Wood Block Calendar

They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself ~ Andy Warhol


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I’ve wanted a wood block perpetual calendar but really had no interest in cutting the wood pieces. So I found a blank set on Etsy to decorate myself. Some 7 Gypsies paper found at Making Memories here in Tucson fit in my plan perfectly as I sought quiet colors since it’s nice to have quiet time even if only in the form of paper.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Each unfinished wood section was carefully measured after which I cut out my paper pieces. Then I used Mod Podge to adhere the paper to the wood.

Updated 9/24/09: I should have told you what numbers go on each block; here is that information:

  • Block 1: : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  • Block 2: 0, 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 (the six also serves as a 9 if you flip it over)


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

A set of clear stamps found at Making Memories worked for marking each month on the sides of the long block sections. All told, the project took me maybe 45 minutes yesterday afternoon to complete and I’m happy with the outcome.

To return to my opening quote, Andy Warhol was semi-right. I can change both time and events myself—even if it’s merely turning the wood blocks on my new perpetual calendar.

Resources

8 comments:

Stacy said...

Your wood block calendar is beautiful. Very inspiring.

Lorrie said...

Isn't it wonderful to have a completed item after only 45 minutes? Your calendar is lovely.

Kristie said...

That turned out really cute, June!

Anonymous said...

How cute!

Thimbleanna said...

Ooohhhh, I LOVE it Junie Moon! Wouldn't these make great Christmas gifts. So, how to you make sure to have all the numbers with only six sides to a block -- do you have 1, 2 and 2 on both of them and then split the rest of the numbers between the two blocks??? Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Diane Schuller said...

another very useful and unique craft. I really like that you bought your 'base' to begin with from an Etsy seller in your area.

rohanknitter said...

I love it, thanks for the link to the blanks! I agree with Thimbleanna - a great gift idea!

Anonymous said...

it came out SO nice!! i love to see what comes of my blank calendars... this is GREAT!!