Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mermaid Artist Trading Cards

December is fast approaching and my Unfinished Objects (UFO) group’s Christmas luncheon is coming soon. We meet once a month on a Saturday to work on projects we’d like to get done or participate in a workshop. There’s also a weekend retreat in the Catalina Mountains each summer.

One of our tasks for the December luncheon is creating artist trading cards (ATCs) to exchange with our contact information on it. Each member bought a Seven Gypsie’s ATC carousel to hold the cards we’ll exchange.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I added a silver heart and a gingham bow to mine. The black index dividers will be decorated later incorporating the acetate alphabet cards somehow. My stand is bare right now as the whole ATC thing is new to me. It is going to be fun adding to the carousel by starting with my UFO friends’ cards next month.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

My mermaid-themed card was made by printing a graphic liberated from the internet on cardstock and using one of the cards from my carousel kit as a template for cutting them out.

Ranger’s Stickles Glitter Glue in the color star dust was used to add glitter to the flowers in her hair. Plaid’s FolkArt Extreme Glitter in turquoise helped me imbue sugar glitter shimmers to bits of the water and highlighting the mermaid’s tail.

The tab holes were made with Seven Gypsies’ ATC punch. I found a set of 12 mermaid beads on eBay just for this project and added one to the card after inserting a tiny eyelet. The result seemed overdone to me and the bead hangs too low when tested on the card carousel. So I’ll use the beads for some future project.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Here are my finished ATC cards; simple makes me happy. My contact information is on the back, so I’m not going to show a photo of that.

Resources

  • Plaid’s FolkArt Extreme Glitter
  • Ranger’s Stickles Glitter Glue
  • Seven Gypsies Revolving Carousel and associated products

8 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

Ohhh I've been meaning to get into the whole ATC card thing now for months. I love your mermaid ones. They are so beautiful.

Yummers! said...

I don't collect the ATC cards but I do have the slightly larger version of your carousel. I loved putting it together... such fun!! It's on the coffee table and the purpose is to have photos available for friends and family to view instead od having everything tucked away in albums. I quess the same thing would hold true for your ATC cards!

Have fun with your project!
Joni

Thimbleanna said...

What a fun thing to do with your group. I love your cute mermaid card -- just perfect for Junie Moon!!!

Gloria J W said...

Wow!! I've never seen one of these artist card stands. How cool is that? I love how you've made your cards. Boy I would need to meet more than once a month to do my UFO's!! I think they are threatening to take over my place!!
Rainbow smiles... Gloria

Kim Campbell said...

How fun! They are sp pretty, Junie!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi June
They are so pretty and will be unique calling cards :-)
I love the term "liberated from the Internet" ..lol....yoiu are so clever!

Bridgett said...

They definitely say "June" to me. Well done!

)O(
boo

Mademoiselle Julie said...

June: you are fabulous! I am not an ATC crafter - or however they like to refer to one another - but I love, love, love the ATC carousel! I wish I'd know about it sooner, I would have purchased one & designed it w/photos for my sis for x-mas. This is marvelous! Keep sharing all your secrets! :-) Cheers, Julie