Friday, January 15, 2010

Metal Washers Jewelry

It amazes me that simple items found in the hardware store can turn into a bit of crafting fun.


Source: Arrow Bolt and Screw Co.

These are simple metal flat washers found at Home Depot. Turning them into something other than their intended purpose was my goal as inspired by a tutorial on the Poppies at Play blog and featured on Mod Podge Rocks.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I did a practice run on this project using origami paper and Mod Podge. After the paper was adhered to the washers and dry, I coated each piece with a sparkly glaze. The bracelet and necklace components were purchased at Jo-Ann’s, but I like Poppies at Play’s execution better.

Resources

I’m citing my resources for my practice project as well as others available for you to learn how to create jewelry out of washers.

  • Hardware for easy jewelry at Rutland Vermont.com
  • Make It: How To Turn A Washer Into A Necklace YouTube video
  • Mod Podge Rocks blog
  • Poppies at Play blog
  • Punk Washer Jewelry at Craft Chi
  • Turn Washers into Jewelry at DIY Network
  • Washer Necklace at Beadage

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are inspiring as always!

Shauna said...

Those are so cute, June! In addition to traditional jewelry, they might make really great cell phone jewelry (the little jeweled things that you can hook on your cell phone, which I used to have to help me find my phone in the depths of my purse!). What a terrific idea! :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It's amazing how a simple washer can be changed to look like a piece of jewelry! I could see them as pins and scarf rings and eyeglass hooks and so on.

So many nice blogs to explore June, thanks for the links!

Have a good weekend!

Thimbleanna said...

I don't know how you do it Junie! Another great find -- your jewelry is adorable! I also love the stamped washers and I'm hoping to try that soon!

rohanknitter said...

Wow, that's so neat!! I'll enjoy exploring those links.

Diane Schuller said...

oh my heavens, that is so creative. I've seen photos of similar looking jewelry and I'll bet that's what they were made of -- and I didn't even know it! June you are so amazing.

LittleGemsbyKari said...

love the mod podge blog too :) very cute!

Bridgett said...

How in the world do you get the paper on so neatly? It's beautiful!

I'd wear one. :)