Thursday, July 15, 2010

Catching Happy Dreams

Dreams are illustrations...from the book your soul is writing about you. ~Marsha Norman

A few months ago I participated in You Go Girl’s On the Edge Pillowcase Crochet-Along, a project I really loved. I decided to try it again using dream catchers as my theme for a gift for my friend Cindy who’s moving across country.

Source: Wikipedia

Dream catchers are netted hoops embellished with special objects and hung over the bed to catch dreams. In Ojibwa (Chippewa) culture, a dream catcher allows only good dreams to filter through. Bad dreams stay in the net and disappear in the light of day while the good dreams pass through and slide down the feathers to the sleeper (Wikipedia).

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Cindy loves everything about the southwest and to remind her of this beautiful part of the country, I made a set of crochet-edged pillowcases for her. The dream catcher fabric design emphasizes my wish she have only happy dreams in her new home.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Turquoise-colored crochet yarn was used to edge the pillowcases. The color coordinates perfectly with the fabric and adds symbolic meaning to my gift. The color turquoise symbolizes the lines of communication between the heart and the spoken word. And isn’t that really what we need to do to capture our dreams and make them a reality?

I hope Cindy enjoys happy dreams in her new home and these pillowcases serve as a reminder of an area of the U.S. she loves and that I’m thinking of her.

Dreams are nature's answering service—don’t forget to pick up your messages once in a while. ~Sarah Crestinn

3 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

What a fun idea June! I love all the symbolism -- you always give the best gifts!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

They look wonderful June! I think Cindy will have many happy dreams when she uses them.

Kristie said...

Beautiful. You always create the most thoughtful gifts.