Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Gift of Orange and a Tutorial

Today’s project is my brother Bill’s Christmas gift. Man gifts are difficult for me. Bill’s idea of pampering differs radically from our sisters’ ideas. He said:

Men do not pamper themselves. We do not need perfumes, bubble bath, scented soap or soft things with which to cuddle. We like to be uncomfortable because we are real men. An assortment of exotic beers....perhaps a gift card from Best Buys...or some BBQ ribs for the grill w/BBQ sauce?”


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

The wood tray was painted with Valspar Island Orange (2010-2) and Valspar Cabin Plank (2011-10) (per Chez La Vie blog) and finished with a glossy sealant. In retrospect, I should have painted the inside of the handles Cabin Plank, too. Besides serving as the base of gift baskets, trays can be used on a dresser top or bathroom counter to hold stuff.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Bill wears the rattiest robe on the planet. I can’t stand it. So, a new kimono robe was made using the pattern from Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects. Based on advice from my husband for whom I’ve made this robe before, the pattern was lengthened by 12 inches. It took me forever to fold it as I wished, so it’s not getting unfolded for a photo.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Leftover fabric was used to make bags for the exotic beers Bill suggested. The actual bottles will be purchased at the last minute and each inserted into a bag and boxed separately before shipping at Christmas.

Beer Bottle Bag Tutorial

Sized to fit most beer bottles (specialty or generic); adjust if needed.

Step 1: (to make one bag) Cut 2 pieces of main fabric 7x10½ inches.

Step 2: Cut 2 pieces of contrast fabric 7x2½ inches.

Step 3: Cut 2 pieces of flannel 7x12½ inches

Step 4: Place one piece of fabric right-side up on table—short sides at top and bottom. Place the contrast fabric on top, matching raw edges along the top short side. Pin in place and sew a ¼-inch seam. Repeat for the other half of the bag. Press seams toward bottom of bag.

Step 5: Place one piece of flannel on table—short sides at top and bottom. Place the 2 pieces of fabric panels (right-sides together) on top of that. Then lay the other flannel piece on top of that. Pin in place.

Step 6: Sew a 3/8-inch seam around three sides, leaving the top (with the contrast fabric) short end of your bag open. Trim corners and then trim the three sewn sides to about ¼-inch.

Step 7: Turn right-side out. Moving around the top of the bag, turn under ¼ inch and press. Turn again another ¼ inch, press and pin in place. Top-stitch 1/8 inch around the bag’s top.

Step 8: Insert your specialty beer bottle and tie a ribbon around the bag (bottle neck area).

For a printable PDF version, click here


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

A little something from Hermès is included as I really do have a thing about respecting the inspirational origin of my project. I added a small journal and a new natural-bristle, wood-handled toothbrush—I don’t know why the latter, maybe because we always need new toothbrushes and men don’t think about such things. Since Bill likes reading, I’ll tuck in whatever latest book comes out near Christmas in his favored science fiction genre and add a Best Buy gift card for purchasing a DVD of his choice.

This concludes my series of pampering gift projects as I’m completely out of siblings. I’ll have to work on my in-law’s gifts when my budget recovers.

No matter the simplest gift, you can find a unique way to present it. Whether it’s Barney the Purple Dinosaur, a simple bottle of beer, or Louis Vuitton—make it special for your recipient. That’s love to me.

14 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I love all of those colors! I think any guy would love this!

Thimbleanna said...

Very cool gifts June. I've enjoyed your gift series -- thanks for the great ideas!

Niki said...

Really, June, all 3 gifts are absolutely brilliant! Anyone would love such a gift. Great job, and I can't wait to see what you do for your in laws.
Have a wonderful day
Nii

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I have really enjoyed your pamper series this week - so many great ideas and brilliant presentation! Your siblings are going to be thrilled. How wonderful to be so organised for Christmas in May.

darla said...

The whole series of Pamper Gifts has been outstanding. You really put thought as well as work into what you create.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Darla

FinnyKnits said...

I may not be a dude, but I think the orange Hermes theme you have going on here is superb!

This series is incredible - so much work! They will all feel pampered and loved. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh June, this is truly an extra special gift. He'll love the fact you made these things for him but also that you put so much thought into it!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

"We like to be uncomfortable because we are real men."

That cracks me up! Hilarious. Boys... Next time my husband complains about me adjusting the temperature I'm going to tell him real men like to be uncomfortable and that he needs to man up. =) I'll be linking to the bottle project.

Beth said...

What a wonderful gift collection. I think a woman would like it as much as your brother!! You do such incredible work.

Cmmc97 said...

Oh my gosh Junie- such beautiful gifts! What lucky siblings you have. As an only child, I'm seriously envious!

Jessica said...

What beautiful presents - and so orange! You should send a photo to http://www.howaboutorange.blogspot.com/ she loves all things orange :)

Gumbo Lily said...

What an incredibly thoughtful gift. Love that orange and brown combo.

Jody

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What fabulous gifts -both Carolyn's and Bill's! Stunning presentation! Thye are going to be thrilled!

I just hope thy don't read your blog June ..lol!

dutchcomfort said...

Love this orange package June! I always love to read your posts and to see what you have come up with this time. You always amaze me with your creations and finds!