Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blocking Wires Kit

My blocking wires are still in Tucson. One of these days, my husband and I will manage to get all my stuff here. In the meantime, I need the wires to block some of my finished knitting projects. Instead of buying a new set, I decided to make my own blocking wires using wires purchased at a local welding shop.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




I cut some wires in 36-inch lengths and some 18-inches long. There’s more to the process of making the wires, but you can find free tutorials online and there’s no sense in my repeating someone else’s work. A box of T-pins and a yardstick were added to my arsenal of blocking tools.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




In order to keep the wires from getting bent and to provide a way to store them, I sewed flannel bags with a twill hanging strap.

Source: Amazon.com


Interlocking play mats found at Lowe’s work great as my blocking pads. The mats may also be found at Amazon.com


1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- thanks for the great ideas June. I would never have thought to use those play mats -- very clever!