Monday, April 25, 2011

Pottery Yarn Bowl Project

I’ve been admiring beautiful pottery bowls being made to hold knitting yarn. Thoughts about purchasing one flitted through my head until it dawned on me such a project would make for a great learning adventure. I immediately signed up for classes in handbuilt pottery at Full Circle Gallery.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




This photo depicts me putting clay through a press to get the shape and thickness needed.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
One of my bowls in process.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




After drawing a freehand spiral, I carefully cut it out. Looking at the picture, I realize the spiral is more like the letter “J”. Hah—it’s a Junie Moon bowl!


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




The bowl is going on the shelf to await glaze firing.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




Here’s my first bowl. It’s a tad lopsided and has a rather wacky rim, but it will work.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




More bowls are in process to use as gifts—hopefully more uniform in shape as I gain in experience. Working with clay has proven to be a good way to relieve stress and give me something to do to stay out of mischief.


8 comments:

rohanknitter said...

That looks like a lot of fun and I think your bowl turned out great!! I'm sure it will extra enjoyable to use knowing you made it yourself!!

Michelle said...

That is such a totally wonderful and elegant bowl! I love how you are always striving to learn new skills and expand your mind. The lucky recipients will be so proud to own those bowls.!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi June!

I was away for three weeks on back to back trips, so now I finally have a chance to catch up with blog friends! Hope you had a wonderful Easter.

Your yarn bowl looks very functional and pretty! The design looks somewhat Celtic :)

Yummers! said...

I think your bowl is such a clever idea! Love the glaze you used... so pretty!

I took ceramics in college and my hands used to crack and bleed after hours on the potter's wheel. I wasn't very good at it.

I bought a few pieces of the white organizers from Michaels that you've used for your crafts. I need more!! SO MUCH STUFF to store! Thank you for sharing your organizers... got me started!!

Teresa said...

Nice design! So handy to have a yarn feed on your bowl. I've never tried this, but it looks like fun.

Michele Bilyeu said...

I love your wonky J bowl...it's a crescent moon with attitude! Your crafting space, your cupcakes...everything you do has your own distinct flair and style..such fun!!!!

Thimbleanna said...

That's awesome June! I have one of those bowls (although not as cute as yours LOL) and I Love it!

Unknown said...

WOW...I never would have thought of that. Such a great way to hold your yarn too...lol. My boys hate holding mine for me.